Sunday, December 9, 2012

Merry Christmas!

Just like many, December is the best time of the year for me. As a child, December was always a favorite. The dreaded exams would finally be over and schools would close down for the winter break. Last day of the exam was special with the pre-Christmas festivities. Christmas carols were sung, the nuns enacted the play of Jesus Christ's birth and we stuffed loads of goodies and finally it was time for the goodbyes to the friends and teachers. Back home, I had the liberty to do almost anything! It never felt better. The sacrifices made, had given way to indulgences... It was almost I had conquered the Everest :) A few days into the vacation, and I would start prepping up for the Christmas. Making greeting cards, shopping for little stars and bells that I could hang on my Christmas tree and the grand party with all my brothers and friends on the Christmas eve. We danced, played and teased around the bonfire until our parents coaxed us to get back home. It was a ritual for me too, to hang a pair of socks for Santa's presents and my dear mom never failed to tuck in some chocolates in them. That was Christmas for me. Nothing grand, nothing fancy. Simple yet very special memories. As I grew, I realized understood the true essence of Christmas. Thanks to the wonderful story by O'Henry "Gift of the Magi". Some stories remain etched in your hearts, while you forget some. The story of Jim and Della, their love and sacrifice, reflects the true spirit of Christmas - spreading love and joy. 


Have a wonderful Christmas and best wishes for the festive season!

PS. The fairy tales I would read myself to sleep had a very different picture of Christmas. A white Christmas. I would dreamily gaze at it and say to myself that one day I would see it for real. That's one wish that's yet to come true. Hope it does, someday. 

No comments: